Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spa 2 Go- Fitting repair - 3 of 7

I am on a roll with the spa 2 go repairs. I'd figure since I shared some of what I know/did, might as well share more. And since I was never able to find any repair information, this might be helpful to others.

One of the first things that broke on my spa was the water intake interface between the tub and the power pack. Due to vertical misalignment between the tub and the power pack extra loads were placed on the threaded section of the connector. They then cracked and leaked out water. This happened within 6 months of owning the tub. I am sure I could have sent it in for warranty, but for $90 and the down time, I decided to repair it myself.

You might be able to see the crack that has formed in this picture. This fitting is still usable, and has not totally failed yet. Shame that such inferior plastic was used. Almost like CLP intended this part to fail.
The good thing however is that this fitting is a standardized part. It is simple a garden hose thread, so replacements can be found. The bad part is that the original fitting is bonded to a short rubber hose, and this bond can not be undone. You can get (theoretically) a new fitting/hose section from CLP and make the repair cleanly, but...

A trip to the hardware store should yield you a garden hose female fitting, and a 3/4" coupler.

First take a ruler and measure the distance from the body of the power pack to the end of the broken fitting. Next, two careful cuts need to be made in order to achieve the correct finial dimension. One is across the black dotted line of the new fitting (as seen in picture 2), and one is across the white dotted line of the original fitting (picture 1). I used a hacksaw to make the cuts. Mix up a batch of your favorite 2 part epoxy, and slather it on the body of the new fitting and the stub of the old. Slide the new fitting into the coupler, and apply extra epoxy to the receiving end of the coupler. Now slide the coupler/new fitting onto the old.

PVC cement can not be used in this application. Maybe for the interface between the new fitting and the coupler. But the old fitting is not 3/4" inch stock. Therefor the epoxy is required to fill the 1/16" of an inch gap. Let it sit for a couple of hours and you should be good to go.

I would perform this repair to both intake and output fittings. If one has failed the other will soon follow (though mine is cracked, is has survived 8 months). The vertical misalignment was most likely caused by low tub pressure. Make sure that the tub is inflated correctly, and hopefully you can avoid this failure and repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment