Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Weekend Skiing - Keyhole

Since I do work a regular 40 hour a week job, most of my skiing is done on the weekends. This last week however was special. We, my boss and I (both bosses: wife and work boss), make an exception when there are mid week powder mornings. This last week was spectacular as far as snow goes, and I skied Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Though it seems like a lot, some of those days was just for an hour; kindda like going for a jog on your lunch break. One thing that I have noticed is that the patterns are different midweek vs. weekend. On weekdays when it is primarily locals on powder mornings, all the off trail chutes and trees get skied out rather quickly, but on weekends, I can find secret powder stashes all day.

The snow pack in the sierras has hit 91% of average. (we need 130% of average to get us out of the drought however) Thus finally coverage is looking pretty good. Leslie and I decided to hit "keyhole" a double black run at Alpine Meadows that neither of us have ever done before. Not only is it steep, but it is sprinkled with rock outcroppings and trees. Exciting! I drew in my route on the picture below.

Keyhole can be accessed by a short hike from either Alpine bowl chair or Summit six ski lifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment