Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How can they sell it for SO cheap?!

Do you ever ask yourself that question? I just received a phone adaptor cable, which I ordered from E-bay. It cost me $2.65, shipped from Hong Kong!!

This type of thing put consumers like me in a difficult position. By purchasing such products, I am most likely supporting poor manufacturing processes, and unsustainable use of natural resources. However when comparing cost, there was no way I was going to pay $30 for the same part from a local vendor, who most likely obtained his merchandise from the same source. A slight justification is that my part appears to be blemished; the case and plug are mounted upside down.


I almost titled this post: The Raping of Mother Earth. You see this type of stuff happening all the time, when walking through the isles of Wal Mart or the Dollar store. Microwave ovens for $20, DVD players for $40. We all love to get a great deal, but at these prices, these items become disposable.


So what is the right thing to do? I do not know. I am writing this to bring awareness to the issue. There is a cost to everything we buy. If the price we pay is not equal to the cost of the materials involved in making it, the difference is paid for by our planet.
UPDATE: Last night I watched a littel video that discribed what I was talking about exactly. Though a little over the top in some of its remarks, the video makes a good point.

No comments:

Post a Comment