Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Skiing In Shorts

For most of us, the first thing we do in the morning is to stumble to our closet and pick out some clothes to put on. OK maybe a trip to the potty and the coffee maker might beat out getting dressed. But sooner or later we got to chose what we will layer our bodies with for the day.

If this is a ski day you might take a look outside to see what the weather might be. Many options exist for your upper body. However your choices are limited when it comes to your legs. If it is warm, you might wear ski pants only. If it is cold you might throw on a pair of long johns underneath. What if it is kindda cold, or really cold. I often ski in a pair of shorts.




No I am not talking about those bone heads you might see out on a spring ski day sporting a Hawaiian shirt and shorts. I am talking about adding a pair of shorts to your layering system. In the winter many of us put away our summer clothes and pull out the winter garb. Included in this change out are most of our shorts. After all you most likely will not be able to wear them for six months or so. Shorts for summer, pants for winter. Whoever shorts make for a very good layering system. On those kinda cold days I will throw on a pair of shorts underneath my ski pants to give me a little more insulation. Short pants are great for this cause they insulate your butt and thighs but do not interfere with ski boots. On very cold days I will add a pair of shorts on top of my long thermal pants to add another layer to my system.


The shorts of choice for me are synthetic "basketball" shorts. Not too short, not too long. Synthetic material that does not get clammy when wet. Silky smooth so that it slides between the layers. No cargo pockets to bunch up and cause extra bulk. Does not limits a full range of motion. And very inexpensive. Who says all ski stuff cost a lot.
Yes I ski in shorts. The Hawaiian shirt however, we'll save that topic for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment