Monday, January 19, 2009

Wild Ice


So what do local Tahoeits do when it is cold out but there hasn't been new snow for weeks. What else but to go search for Back Country Ice. My experience with ice skating however is much more limited. Other than the hundreds of hours logged watching Olympic ice skating, my only real world ice skating experience is Valentines day at Squaw 2 years ago. I thought that I was doing well and got the hang of it. But if anyone who has skied backcountry will tell you, that SHIT is HARD!! Variable backcountry conditions make you long for the next time you could lay your edges on some corduroy. The same can be said about back country ice.

The section of beach near our work has a large shallow bay. Over the last few weeks, I have been watching it ice over. Today I finally braved the ice. Tough but well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment